Brexit, Money, and You

You’ve probably heard that the people of England voted to leave the European Union and that as a result, the British pound has fallen dramatically against the dollar.

It looks like we Brits may need to tighten our belts a bit. But that could be a good thing.

The workshop we just did in Ukraine was about Happiness and Radical Forgiveness. One exercise we gave the people was to create a vision for their life.

As part of that, they were asked to come up with an answer to this question: “How much money do you need to live a good life?”

Once they had gone over all the usual ways people try all their lives to get more and more money just for the sake of it, they eventually began to realize just how little money they actually needed beyond what was required in order to be happy.

It became clear to them that it wasn’t how much money they had that mattered: it was how they felt about it and the meaning they attached to it.

Research shows that only 10% of our happiness comes from owning stuff. The other 90% has nothing whatsoever to do with wealth or ownership of property real or otherwise. We are abundantly supplied with so much that makes us happy that is totally free and readily available.

It’s only the poor who believe that they could be happier if they had more money. Rich people have learned otherwise.

They know that too much money – i.e., more than they really need can quickly become a burden. They think they love money. They don’t. They hate money.

Deep down, those of us who have even a modest amount of money hate it. That’s because we know it can be taken away from us at any moment and bring down our flimsy house of cards we have built just to show we have money. We spend fortunes on insurance, security systems and lawyers to protect our money, and we hate them too.

Interestingly, the majority of the 150 or so people in the room in the Ukraine were between 25 and 35. Many of them were affluent, at least insofar as they could afford to be at the workshop.

 And yet, they fully embraced the idea that life offers so much that is free and in abundant supply all around us. They understood that having money gives us choices in life, but does not provide happiness. That comes from within.

How about you? If we were to experience the major financial crisis that many say is just around the corner, and you lost most of your money, how would you feel?

What inner resources do you have to fall back on that would help you make it through? How much money have you put aside to sustain you and your loved ones for say 3 months if it should happen tomorrow?

It’s worth thinking about.

4 thoughts on “Brexit, Money, and You

  1. Barbara Lipińska

    Money is not a problem unless you don’t know what you need it for and that’s the only and the best way for you to get it. Next step is to have enough faith and comfort to surrender the rest to the Universe and enjoy the time you are given to grow in faith and unconditional love to yourself and respect to your emotions. Loving money should be unconditional as well. We should not fear loving it unconditionally. Then the fear of having or not having it will not exist and it will flow easily through our life, without unnecessary attachment or expectations. Acting with love, peace and faith makes it possible.

  2. olivia

    Daring to ask the universe for just about anything other than money, as well as the ability to appreciate and love all that is free and abundant around us, is by far a faster way to a happy human being.

  3. Susan

    I am 75 years old, physically handicapped (have been since I was a small child), and my monthly income is a little over half of what the government says is poverty level, yet I am one of the happiest people I know. I think this is because I have chosen to be happy. I realized a long time ago that “stuff” is not important, but love is, and I have good friends and a loving family. I am rich indeed!

Comments are closed.